Friday, May 18, 2007

Retrospect and Prospect

Supreme Ruler of the Visible and Invisible Worlds,

My heart is drawn out to thee for thy amazing grace and condescension.
Thou has kept my conversion fresh before me, that season of my first spiritual comfort when I passed through the Red Sea by a way I did not expect.
I rejoiced then for that unthought-of passage, that delivered me from the fear of the Egyptian when I had almost despaired of life.
I rejoice now as these things are fresh and lively in my mind.
My soul melts when I think of thy days of old with me, when a poor worthless creature without wisdom to direct or strengthen to help myself was laid under the happy necessity of living upon thee and finding thy consolations large.
Thou are my divine treasury in whom all fullness dwells, my life hope, joy, peace, glory, end; may I be daily more and more conformed to thee, with the meekness and calmness of the Lamb in my soul, and a feeling sense of the felicity of heaven, where I long to join angels free from imperfections, where in me the image of my adored Saviour will be completely restored, so that I may be fit for his enjoyments and employments.
I am not afraid to look the king of terrors in the face, for I know I shall be drawn, not driven out of the world.
Until then let me continually glow and burn out for thee, and when the last great change shall come let awake in thy likeness leaving behind me an example that will gloify thee while my spirit rejoices in heaven, and my memory is blessed upon earth, with those who follow me praising thee for my life.


~ Valley of Vison

No comments: